Thursday, September 20, 2007

Time Write-up Regarding Relational and Instrumental Mathematics/Understanding

Manjeet Mahal
MAED 314A
September 7, 2007

Relational mathematics/understanding and instrumental mathematics/understanding are two forms of understanding that I have never heard of before this class. Instrumental understanding involves knowing the “rules” or methods to perform the task without really understanding why that certain rule allows you to get the answer to a certain question correct. On the other hand, relational understanding involves knowing the “rule” for doing something, and also knowing why that “rule” works. Therefore, relational understanding involves a deeper understanding of the topic. Before this class, I just considered understanding to be relational understanding – not instrumental understanding. During my high school years I found that, especially in the junior levels of math, my teachers used instrumental understanding to teach topics. However, in senior level math classes teachers started incorporating relational understanding into the lectures a little more. I used relational understanding more in university than high school.

No comments: