Friday, September 21, 2007

Teaching Perspective Inventory Response

Manjeet Mahal
MAED 314A
September 19, 2007

Teaching Perspective Inventory Response

I found the Teaching Perspective Inventory self-test to be very interesting. I did the test according to views that I have now – before actually teaching. Perhaps after I start teaching, my views on some of the questions that were asked will be different; therefore, resulting in a different result in the end. My most dominant perspective from the test is nurturing, which is followed closely by transmission. Apprenticeship and developmental perspectives are in between dominant and recessive. On the other hand, social reform was a recessive perspective for me. From the point of view that I have towards teaching at this point, I agree with the results that I received from my TPI self-test.
Nurturing is my most dominant perspective. This perspective implies that the teacher is caring, understanding, and willing to help the students in any way to succeed. A nurturing teacher gives students the feeling that they can succeed if they just try. In general, students who have teachers who are characterized by a nurturing teaching perspective do not have a fear of failing. Although nurturing teachers support and encourage their students, they do not just “hand out” marks. These types of teachers continue to challenge students to reach their goals and potentials. Moreover, to ensure achievement, nurturing students do not sacrifice students’ self-confidence. Overall, I think this perspective fits very well with the type of person that I am. Throughout the volunteering that I did in the past, I have realized that I care about the students and I want them to be very successful. I do not want my students to fear being in my classroom because they have failed the course before or they are not doing well in the course. I will do everything that I can to help these students; however, these students must also be willing to help themselves.
Transmission was also a fairly dominant trait for me. Having this perspective implies that the teacher comprehends the subject matter very well. The teacher’s responsibility is to convey what he/she knows effectively and accurately to his/her students. Teachers who teach with a transmission perspective clearly state the objectives of the course, use class time efficiently, direct students, and answers questions effectively. I think these characteristics are important for a teacher to possess because they guide learning – and to learn is why people go to school. Moreover, having these characteristics are important to me because I think they keep the class focused and organized – while still fun.
The apprenticeship and developmental perspectives where not dominant or recessive – they were in the middle of the ranking. I think this is fairly accurate because, when relating to the apprenticeship perspective, I think it is important for teachers to be skilled in what they teach; however, I do not think they have to be “highly skilled.” Therefore, teachers should know how to teach the subject that they are teaching, but they do not have to be geniuses in the subject area. On the other hand, after getting my results I wish the developmental perspective was more dominant. I think teachers should understand how students reason and think about the content. Moreover, teachers should have students think in more complex ways.
Social reform is the only recessive perspective I have. I think this is very accurate because, while teaching, I am not trying to change society – especially when teaching math. I want students to understand that there are different points of views about everything and they should understand and respect these different views. Only if students object to something a great deal should they go and change it.
Overall, the results I got from the TPI self-test were accurate. However, according to me, to be a good teacher it is essential that teachers possess qualities from each of the five perspectives.

No comments: