Friday, September 21, 2007

My Most Memorable Math Teacher

Manjeet Mahal
MAED 314A
September 14, 2007

My Most Memorable Math Teacher

My most memorable math teacher was one of my university teachers. This teacher, who I will refer to as Mr. Brady, was not my most memorable teacher because he was the best math teacher I ever had, but because he was the worst math teacher I ever had.
Many things resulted in Mr. Brady being my worst teacher. First of all, he could not explain what we were being taught very well. During the lecture he would spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to solve the problem. Moreover, his lectures were never very organized – he would always jump from one part to the next and back again. Additionally, Mr. Brady was never clear on his instructions. Many times I would go and ask him how he wanted something done and he would tell me one way, but when I got my assignment or paper back it was quite evident that what I gave him was not what he wanted. Hence, I was always frustrated in his class because I, along with many other students, felt that he did not communicate with us very well. As a result of all of this, I was always stressed out in his classes.
One positive aspect of having Mr. Brady as a teacher is that I now know what kind of things not to do and what kind of teacher not to become. When I teach I want to be very organized and understand what I am teaching. Furthermore, I want to make sure that whenever I give instructions all the students understand them and know what I expect. Moreover, I think it is very important to listen to the students’ concerns and help them along whenever they need it – something that Mr. Brady did not do.
Although I stressed out a lot in Mr. Brady’s classes, it was a beneficial experience because I learned that it is important for teacher’s to listen to students and make sure they always understand what you want. Overall, I learned not to teach like Mr. Brady did.

No comments: