Friday, September 21, 2007

Micro-teaching: Self- and Peer-assessments

Manjeet Mahal
MAED 314A
September 12, 2007

Peer Feedback Form for 10 Minute Microteaching

Topic: Doing a manicure

Focus on use of BOOPPPS planning format and initial strengths and areas for development

Learning (& possibly teaching) objectives, clear?

Debby: No comment
Ed: Good! Method and tools laid out for objectives
Tam Tran: How to do proper manicure – clear
Yuri: Yes clear. I was excited to learn about the topic
Jason: How to do your own nails. Good and clear
Afsoon: Students will learn how to polish nails

Bridge/Intro?

Debby: Questions were good
Ed: Nice intro, lively and energetic
Tam Tran: Have anyone have a manicure done?
Yuri: Made good opening point
Jason: Good
Afsoon: She explained how to polish your nails

Pre-test of prior knowledge?

Debby: Gave me some ideas on equipment and their use
Ed: Check mark
Tam Tran: Named all the equipment
Yuri: She answered my questions. Provided extra information
Jason: Asked “have anyone done their nails before?”
Afsoon: She asked if we ever have done our nails before

Participatory activity?

Debby: Very clear explanation
Ed: Good use of materials and passing them around
Tam Tran: Try the equipment out
Yuri: Yes, very
Jason: I got my middle finger nail polished
Afsoon: Each student had a chance to try the manicure on their own nails

Post-test/check-in on learning?

Debby: Review of the manicure equipment. I was able to remember what they were and how to use them
Ed: I liked the little quiz at the end on the tools
Tam Tran: Rename all the equipment
Yuri: Asked us the name of the equipment – which was good
Jason: Answer questions responsively
Afsoon: Watching students while they were polishing their nails

Summary/conclusion?

Debby: “Ask and answer” time was helpful
Ed: Check mark
Tam Tran: Handful to get manicure done
Yuri: O.K., good way to finish up. Everybody was happy
Jason: Repeated all the items needed to get your nails done
Afsoon: It is cheaper to do it yourself – save money

What were the strengths of the lesson?

Debby: Clear voice, step by step procedure was good
Ed: Very receptive to questions, kept lesson fun and engaging
Tam Tran: Clear, good eye contact, and good interaction
Yuri: Really interesting, positive energy, good voice, and kept us entertained. Coolest presentation I heard today. Made good use of equipment names during presentation
Jason: Clear, enthusiastic about the lesson, friendly, timing was awesome
Afsoon: Clearly explained

What areas need further work and development?

Debby: It was excellent overall
Ed: A summary of the different steps to reinforce the ideas
Tam Tran: Good job
Yuri: Not really, but you shouldn’t steal your sister’s equipment
Jason: Can’t think of any yet
Afsoon: No need for further improvement

Self Assessment: Microteaching

I thought these things went well in my lesson:

Everyone seemed to be very entertained by the lesson, and everyone followed along very well. I think that I talked clearly and I think everyone in my group understood what I was doing. I planned my lesson well because I did not run out of time and I was a able to answer the questions that my group members asked. I also think that the members of my group learned a lot about giving yourself or someone else a manicure from my lesson.

If I were to teach this lesson again, I would work to improve it in these ways:

I would want to have more materials so that more students could do the manicure at the same time. I would summarize the steps to do a manicure at the end of the lesson to make sure that everyone understood the lesson, and the ideas I put out to the students were reinforced. However, overall I think this lesson went well and the students found it educational.

Here are some things I reflected on based on my peers’ feedback:

Overall, I got very good feedback from the members of my group on my lesson on doing a manicure. The members of my group found the topic interesting and they enjoyed the participatory activity of doing a manicure. My group members said that I talked clearly and was very energetic. I think that these are very good qualities for a teacher to possess because it keeps the students engaged in the lesson. I have to keep my enthusiasm up when I am doing my practicum and when I become a teacher. The only negative comment I received was that I forgot to summarize the method of doing a manicure. I have to keep in mind not to forget this when I am teaching. I also enjoyed the questions my group members asked me.



No comments: