Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What I Found Interesting about Assignment #1 Group Presentations

1) One of the interesting things that I learned from Kevin, Noriko, and James' presentation was that the teacher thought it was easier to deviate from the curriculum in east end schools rather than in west end schools. This is the case because in west end schools parents are more concerned about their children getting the "proper" education so they can do well on tests. I thought this was interesting because it reveals that for many parents having their children be successful on exams is the most important thing.

2) I found it interesting that the student Jason's group interviewed thought that giving good lecture notes is a good quality of teachers. I found this interesting because it shows that students like having lecture notes.

3) I think it is interesting how the teacher Bali's group interviewed takes the effort to phone student's parents and tell them what is expected of their children in his/her math class and what topics their children are covering in class. I thought this was interesting because it shows how much the teacher cares about his/her students.

4) I thought it was interesting how the student Tam's group interviewed liked the teacher putting up all the steps in an example right away instead of letting the students work on it by themselves for a little while. I found this interesting because it shows that some students are just interested in getting answers correct - they like instrumental understanding.

5) I thought it was interesting how the teacher Sang's group interviewed said he did not change his teaching style until his fourth year of teaching. At first his lectures were very structured. His comment really caught my attention because I know that when I start teaching, my lectures will also be very structured. I am glad to hear that with more experience some teachers make their lectures less structured and explore a little more.

No comments: